By now you’ve probably already heard the numbers. Conservatives control an overwhelming 68 of the 98 state legislative chambers in the US. In 23 states, conservative governors lead the executive branch and conservatives have the majority in both chambers of the legislature.
We also know that the American Legislative Exchange Council is pushing bills to expand school privatization while cities across the country are worried about failing infrastructure, how to afford overdue repairs, and wondering if a public-private partnership is the answer to strapped budgets and deteriorating public assets.
So if you’re like most Americans, you’re currently facing the threat of privatization in your community. However, unlike most Americans, you have access to the resources and tools we’ve developed that can help strengthen your campaigns to keep public services and assets under public control because you’re a supporter of In the Public Interest.
Here are just a few resources that can help your efforts to keep public services public:
- Ask the Right Questions before Privatizing – 10 simple questions that need to be asked by advocates, the media and public officials before any deal is finalized.
- “Race to the Bottom: How Outsourcing Public Services Rewards Corporations and Punishes the Middle Class” – This report shows that workers employed by state and local government contractors often receive low wages and few benefits, while corporations rake in profits through taxpayer dollars and CEO compensation continues to soar.
- “Out of Control: The Coast-to-Coast Failures of Outsourcing Public Services to For-Profit Corporations” – Called the “Bible of Privatization Horror Stories”, this report serves as a cautionary tale for lawmakers and taxpayers alike.
- “Standing Guard: How Unaccountable Contracting Fails Governments & Taxpayers” – Help your local government avoid the 5 most common oversight failures by fighting for robust oversight of all contractors and accountability metrics in all contracts.
- “Profiting from Public Dollars: How ALEC and its Members Promote Privatization of Government Services and Assets” – This report exposes ALEC’s extensive privatization agenda by identifying model bills that promote the handing over of public services and assets to the very corporations who stand to gain from promoting these laws.
- Weekly Media Scans – Stay up to date on the latest news and legislation about privatization and outsourcing issues.
While government outsourcing is not a partisan issue, time and time again we have seen self-identified “limited government, free market conservatives” rush to put private businesses in charge of critical public services and assets.
If you don’t see what you need, check out our full resource guide. To make a suggestion about other resources, please let us know what kind of tools would be helpful.